The English Department believes in enriching the lives of our students by preparing them for college and beyond by offering a curriculum of English classes that cater to the needs of every student. We strive to challenge our students and equip them with the tools to be successful readers, writers, and thinkers long after they leave the halls of DeSales High School.
The English Department goals are to assist students in the following ways:
- The reading, interpretation, and discussion of literature across genres in the classroom, including reflection on universal themes of human experience and the examination of models of written expression.
- The independent reading of a number of novels, allowing students to extend and take full ownership of their powers as readers and thinkers.
- The practice of a clear and effective writing process that includes understanding of genre and purpose, focusing the topic, evaluating the audience, drafting, peer/self/and teacher critiques, research, revision, and editing including the active use of a broad and rich vocabulary.
- The application of the conventions of grammar, mechanics, and usage of Standard American English.
- The discovery and refinement of effective critical reading, thinking, speaking, and writing skills.